Make a splash and try out for a Parks Swim Team! Learn competitive swimming strokes, goal setting, sportsmanship, teamwork principals, and improve your fitness. Have fun and be part of a team and compete against other Parks Swim Teams citywide.
NYC Parks offers talented youths ages 6 through 18 an opportunity to join a Parks swim team. Swimmers train for High Point Meets and the Borough Cup Championship.
Practice sessions are held at least three times a week and emphasize stroke technique, endurance and speed training, starts and turns, rules, and sportsmanship. You must pass a swim test to be eligible for the team.
2022 - 2023 Season Schedule
Fall 2022: October 11, 2022 – December 30, 2022Winter/Spring 2023: January 2, 2023 – June 24, 2023
In order to qualify for the team, you must:
- be capable of swimming 50 meters freestyle in good form. Swimming 50 meters will not guarantee placement on the team.
- submit a complete online application (signed by a parent/guardian) before trying out.
- provide a copy of their birth certificate on the day of your tryout to verify their age.
Please note: All swim team participants must be members of an NYC Parks recreation center. Recreation center memberships are free for anyone younger than 25 years old. To learn more about becoming a member, please visit our Recreation Center Membership page.
Free with an NYC Parks Recreation Center Membership. Membership is free for kids, teens, and young adults ages 18-24.
How to Join
Make a splash and try out for the swim team! To try out, please complete the online registration. Please visit our Tryout Help page and follow our step-by-step guide to registering for a tryout.
First-Time Applicants: Friday, September 30 at noon – Friday, February 25, 2023 at noon
Returning Swim Team Members: Monday, September 19 at noon – Thursday, September 29 at noon
In order to enroll with a swim team, all families must first schedule a tryout for their child.
Online registration will open to all applicants on a first-come, first-served basis from noon on Friday, September 30 to noon on Saturday, February 25, 2023.
Please note: If you are a new applicant who did not swim during the 2021 – 2022 indoor season and registered during the returning swim team member registration period, your application will not be accepted and you must re-register beginning Friday, September 30 at noon.
Returning Swim Team Members
Due to limited slots, swimmers who participated in the 2021 – 2022 indoor swwim season will be given the opportunity to rejoin the team by completing their online registration beginning Friday, September 19 at noon and not later than Thursday, September 29, 2022 at noon.
Please note: If you are a returning swimmer, you must register for the same swim team you participated in last year. If you register for a new swim team, you will be considered a new swimmer and your application will not be accepted. You can register for a new swim team beginning Friday, September 30 at noon. Beginning Friday, September 30, all applications will be considered “new applicants” including the previous year’s swim team members who register on September 30 or later.
Parks Swim Team Rules
All Parks Swim Team members must comply with the following requirements:
- All swim team participants must be members at an NYC Parks recreation center. Membership is free for kids and teens.
- Swim team members must participate in 2 out of 3 training sessions per week. Flushing Meadows Aquacades swim team members are required to participate in 3 out of 4 practices every week.
- Swim team members must arrive on time for training sessions.
- Swim team members must follow the instructions of the coach and team officials.
- Team members must participate in at least two High Point Swim Meets to qualify for participation in the Borough Cup Swimming Championship.
- Swim team members must comply with all facility/pool and competition rules and regulations and always observe safety guidelines.
For more information, please contact our Citywide Aquatics team at (718) 760-6969 Ext. 0